Thanks for stopping by and spending a moment to read my blog. I am just a simple mom, like you, doing the best she can to raise her children to be happy, healthy, Jesus-loving little humans. I hope that I can pass along to you some of what has been helpful to me. Enjoy & thank you for your comments and words of encouragement when you like what you read. :)

Thursday, February 28, 2013

{Parenting Tip} Positive Reinforcement

My middle son is a very stubborn four years old. Disciplining him is nothing like it was with my first son - what worked with him doesn't even phase my four year old. Different personalities -- for sure, and with that comes a different approach. I would much prefer to be a mom who encourages her children instead of harping on them all the time. That being said, by the end of the day when I am tired and counting the minutes until bedtime it is easier said than done. Here is one idea that has helped in my house and may help you too!!

{The Treasure Box}
In order to encourage a helpful/cheerful attitude and better behavior choices we have started using a treasure box. When I catch my son doing something good, being helpful or another behavior choice that we have been working on he can get a treat from the treasure box. I found the wooden box at the craft store and let my son paint the box himself. Then we filled it with goodies from the dollar store. He is REALLY into art so recently I filled it with crayons. I hope that if you have a child who isn't responding well to discipline this will help you too. Remember to encourage good behavior and let NOT getting a reward by the discipline by itself.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...