Thanks for stopping by and spending a moment to read my blog. I am just a simple mom, like you, doing the best she can to raise her children to be happy, healthy, Jesus-loving little humans. I hope that I can pass along to you some of what has been helpful to me. Enjoy & thank you for your comments and words of encouragement when you like what you read. :)

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

{Spring Cleaning} Homemade Laundry Detergent

Back by popular demand --- here are the two recipes I use everyday for my laundry. I will admit I was a skeptic when I first heard of "homemade detergent" and honestly put off trying it for a really long time. But after staring at the insane price of detergent and softner one day at the store I decided to give it a go. It is VERY easy to make and only takes about 30 minutes. Needless to say, I tried it once and I was hooked --- I make a batch of detergent once every few months and softner about once a month. {LOVE}
 
Time:
15-20 minutes prep
24 hour cooling time for the detergent

Liquid Detergent:
1/2 bar Fels-laundry soap
1/2 cup Borax
3/4 cup Washing Soda (not baking soda)
3 empty gallon milk jugs
Funnel (or top half of a soda bottle)

-Using a cheese grater, shred the Fels-Naptha. Save 1/2 for your next batch. In a large stock pot melt the remaining 1/2 bar of shredded soap with 3 cups water over medium high heat. Add the Borax and Washing Soda, stirring until well mixed. Put 2 cups into each of 3 clean gallon jugs. Add HOT water to 2/3 to 3/4 full. Shake. Remove lids and let sit for 24 hours to thicken. Contents may seperate, shake before each use.
-TO USE IN LAUNDRY: Use 1/8-1/4 cup per load. Good for HE washers and front loaders as well.


Fabric softener:
1 cup Suave Conditioner
2 cups white vinegar
1-2 empty container(s)

Combine conditioner and Vinegar with 3 cups HOT water. Shake well.
-TO USE IN LAUNDRY: Use 2-3 Tbsp per load diluted with water where you would normally place the fabric softener.
-NOTE: Use 1/2-1 cup straight white vinegar for towels to help with mildew smell and to help maintain absorbency.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...